Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new PSF release: Exias-J, Live Document 2003-2005 DVD  (Read 4223 times)

alancummings

new PSF release: Exias-J, Live Document 2003-2005 DVD
« on: May 17, 2007, 07:42:05 PM »
EXIAS-J
"Live Document 2003-2005"

PSFDV-3 (DVD)

Release date: 27 April, 2007  --  OUT NOW!

Hideaki Kondo - guitar
Takuo Tanikawa - guitar, computer
Shin-ichiro Kanda - piano, analogue synthesizer
Tetsuya Miyazaki - live electronics, computer
Jun Kawasaki  - contrabass
Masami Irumagawa - cello
Naoto Nishizawa - drums, percussion

“Free improvisation may have provided the original touch-paper for Exias-J’s inception as a group, but by the time of the performances documented on this DVD we had gradually begun to move beyond it as a category. For instance, we began to incorporate deliberate internal structures in the form of compositional techniques such as minimalism, twelve-tone or atonalism, and we started to interrogate musical forms such as the sonata or ostinato. Or else in performance, we adopted approaches such as reliance upon a restricted number of modes, variations on a particular theme, extended instrumental technique, and a forms of expression based on (non-harmonically structured) sound images themselves. In order to construct these phenomenological relationships multiple techniques have been employed here, however they appear to be completely subordinated to receptive function of the viewer and the creative function of the musicians. I believe that this is something of which we can be justifiably proud. Since music relies upon these phenomenological relationships as its medium, I never like to make light of the methods by which modes and phenomena can be generalized, however, I have no desire to turn a method into a goal.”
Kondo Hideaki

Third release on PSF by Exias-J (Experimental Improvisor’s Assocation of Japan), Japan’s most conceptually determined improvising collective and their first DVD. Containing three performances from Tokyo and New York, this is a challenging clash of methodologies and sonorities, hugely exciting in its electric power and formal heft.

142 minutes, region free, NTSC format.

karihane

• Occasional Poster
Re: new PSF release: Exias-J, Live Document 2003-2005 DVD
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 09:20:40 PM »
"...Since music relies upon these phenomenological relationships as its medium, I never like to make light of the methods by which modes and phenomena can be generalized, however, I have no desire to turn a method into a goal..."

Although I'm new to Exias-J (new to the world of noise as well),
I'll give Hideaki some credits for his words.
Thanks for the translation.

Alan S

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 02:23:16 AM »
Although I'm new to Exias-J (new to the world of noise as well),
I'll give Hideaki some credits for his words.

If you're interested in how all that translates into sound there's an mp3 sample from their Son's Scapegoat CD on the Siwa website www.siwarecords.com. I also just added a pdf of Kondo's liner notes for the Japanese edition of that one. Thanks as always to Alan C for the translation.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:37:17 PM by Alan S »

karihane

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 03:34:20 AM »
If you're interested in how all that translates into sound there's an mp3 sample from their Son's Scapegoat CD on the Siwa website www.siwarecords.com.

Sorry to inform you that the Siwarecords website is down somehow. But with luck I've found one of their audio sample. I was curious about their adoption of twelve-tone technique, now I get it. it's transparent in the piano part, of course.

Thank you for your recommendation ;D
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 05:11:17 AM by karihane »

Alan S

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 12:58:30 PM »

Sorry to inform you that the Siwarecords website is down somehow.

I'm not sure why that would be. Maybe two people tried to access it on the same day and my server couldn't handle the traffic? I just checked and it seems to be there now. Let me know if anybody else has trouble.....

karihane

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 05:10:36 AM »
I'm not sure why that would be. Maybe two people tried to access it on the same day and my server couldn't handle the traffic? I just checked and it seems to be there now.

Anyway I gave it another shot, it works now~
I am so sorry for all that trouble and confusion. And Thanks again for your information.

pauladmin

• Administrator
  • Occasional Poster
    • Noise
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 06:44:19 AM »
I couldn't access the Siwa site from the link above either and then realized why - there's a mistake in the URL, it's missing the "a".

Alan S

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2007, 12:45:10 PM »
I couldn't access the Siwa site from the link above either and then realized why - there's a mistake in the URL, it's missing the "a".

Oops, a little self defeating for my feeble attempts at self promotion. Thanks for figuring that out Paul. It should be fixed now so if you're still paying attention you could try www.siwarecords.com .