Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kan Mikami in London (at last!)  (Read 8540 times)

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
Re: Kan Mikami in London (at last!)
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2008, 06:41:29 PM »
That's excellent! Did you speak English, French or Japanese with him?

BzL

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2008, 07:37:56 PM »
Oh, I wish I could speak Japanese! Unfortunately the only things I told him in this language were a shy "Mikami-san" to introduce myself and some "domo arigato" at the end of both time we spoke. The rest of the "conversation" was in English. I was quite surprised, but I had to ask him if he spoke some so we could speak a little. He told me he did not have a good practice of it (I must say it is true), but fair enough! At least we could understand each other.
The first time we met was on the dock of the small boat before he would play. My friend and I were talking together with a cigarette when Mikami came out and lit one for himself. After a few minutes (I think he was enjoying the place, the boat was floating and swinging a little bit), I decided to speak to him. I told him I had big respect and loved his music; he thank me and asked me if I was a musician (he seemed quite disappointed to know I was more of a drummer than a guitarist, sigh); he told me he found the city beautiful, that it was the third time he went to play in this boat. I asked him if I could come back and see him later for keeping a "souvenir" of tonight, which he accepted.
I went backstage five minutes or so later and handed him my copy of the '75 "Kan" album. The man did not expect to see this one coming (maybe one of those PSF they were selling), and reacted very well. He asked me if I got it on the Internet, made me understand he was no expecting this, and finally asked me to write my name down. Then he retranscribed it and signed and dated (more than what I expected!).
Afterwards I thanked him and wished him luck for the show.

Thinking back of this moment is quite strange. I do not know if Mikami-san was acting it a little bit (fans are fans), or if it was just mere kindness towards me. Anyway, if I can not speak about a real "meeting", it was a delightful experience before his gig, which was then so fantastic. Even my friend who did not know him was really touched by the spirit and the presence of Mikami on stage.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 07:40:21 PM by BzL »

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »
That's a great wee story. I bet he was quite surprised and pleased to see one of the early LPs.

I kind of wish I'd tried to speak to him at the London shows, or even got Alan to introduce me, but I was afraid of bothering Mikami, especially since I wouldn't have a word of Japanese. I did thank him for playing and said I really enjoyed his performances when everyone was hanging around after the last night, but only very briefly in passing.

BzL

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2008, 09:33:01 PM »
I too was afraid of bothering him... but there was this coincidence on the dock, so...