Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kan Mikami in London (at last!)  (Read 8032 times)

pjc

• Occasional Poster

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
Re: Kan Mikami in London (at last!)
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:33:39 AM »
A three night residency to boot!

I think I might overcome my anti-London stance and head down to this. For a three night stint he seems likely to do some particularly interesting stuff.

It also mentions that this is part of a "Japanese Festival" at the venue, though there is no further information given. I'll hold off buying tickets and making concrete plans, in the hope that some more details of the Japanese Festival are released, and have signed up for their mailing list to that end.

Thanks very much for the information.

Speedfreak

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
Wow, thats great. I ordered my tickets for all three nights already. I don't want to miss this chance to see Kan Mikami live. I live in Germany but the chance that he will play here are not so high, I guess, so London is fine for me. Can't wait until September.

krakow

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 07:52:15 AM »
So, this mighty event is nearly upon us, finally. Is anyone else going? I know that our very own alancummings is giving a talk on the Thursday evening, but are any other noise.as members going to be in attendance?

I'll be there for all three nights. I'm going down to London on the Thursday morning and staying through till the Monday, as trains were cheaper then, and am staying in the YHA at St Pancras.

BzL

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 05:43:20 AM »
Lucky, lucky people! I wish I could be there to see him. Unfortunately Lyon (FR) is not that close to London - especially when studies are ready on the starting blocks. Enjoy this live!

krakow

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 08:03:04 AM »
I'll hopefully be taking photos, so I'll put them online and post a link afterwards.

Also, there's apparently a European Tour at the end of November, so maybe a chance then for you...?

KAN MIKAMI - EUROPE TOUR

+ Michel Henritzi (on Kumiko Karino pictures)

21 NOV - LILLE, La Malterie

22 NOV - BRUXELLES, Cinéma Nova

26 NOV - NANTES, Violon Dingue

27 NOV - BREST - La Carene

28 NOV - PARIS - Vert Pituite

29 NOV - ROTTERDAM - Worm

other dates upcoming

http://michelhenritzi.canalblog.com/

BzL

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 09:57:15 PM »
Wow, thanks for the information! He did a gig few years ago in Lyon, but I did not know him then - Haino too, and same story.
I will certainly see him in Paris if he does not come closer than this.

I am going to check for Haino, too - he did a concert on November 2007, maybe this year?...

phos

• Occasional Poster
Haino in Paris
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 10:15:35 PM »
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 10:17:55 PM by phos »

BzL

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 01:39:22 AM »
Another good new, thanks!  :D I'll definitely do my best to go to this event. I know some friends in Paris who could give me shelter then.

BzL

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »
As I was expecting it, it seems Kan Mikami will be in Lyon December 4th.  :D :D

http://michelhenritzi.canalblog.com/archives/2008/07/28/10065051.html

There is no information about the venue, but I think it should be at the Sonic like in 2006.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/digital_freak/289610974/
Each time I see there was Tomokawa too, I feel like being stabbed.

I just can't wait for the confirmation!... Does Mikami speak English?

krakow

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2008, 07:32:29 AM »
Sorry for delay in giving a report.

Kan Mikami played two sets on each of the three nights of the London residency at Cafe OTO, each set being about 45 minutes. As far as I know, there was no overlap either. He was tremendous each time.

His energy and intensity were amazing. He was ducking and weaving pretty much the whole time - so incredibly expressive in his vocals, guitar playing and mannerisms - screaming, pulling faces, always moving. Even not being able to understand a word of Japanese it was totally absorbing to watch and listen to. It was a very intimate set up, with no stage, just an open, old warehouse-type venue, with a very simple microphone and an amp sitting on a chair making up the performance space, which we all sat around at chairs and tables. He would make little runs out into the audience occasionally too.
On the first night we were also treated to a very interesting introductory talk on Mikami and some of the history and context to his music by a certain Mr Alan Cummings.

(This one was used to accompany the review in the November issue of the Wire.)

More photos online here: http://krakow.zenfolio.com/p433804440

If you have even half a chance to see Kan Mikami live, do not miss it. A wonderful experience. He really seems to give everything and is mesmerising to see. I'm so glad that I made the trip down to London for it.

krakow

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2008, 05:27:00 PM »
Kan Mikami is back at Cafe OTO for one night on Sat. 6th December as part of the European tour: http://www.cafeoto.co.uk/programme/KanMikami.shtm

Another opportunity for anyone who missed him last time.

Unfortunately it's too expensive for me to make another trek to London just for one night, otherwise I'd certainly be there again.

BzL

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 07:26:30 PM »
That's it. It was yesterday, Mikami Kan went to Lyon for the third time to play in a small boat. It was truly fantastic. I could even meet him before his gig, we spoke a little bit, though I did not know what to say. I was quite impressed. He seems to be such a nice guy! I hope there was no irony when he accepted to handsign me his '75 record "Kan". He looked quite surprised to see it!
The performance was really stunning, breathtaking, mind-blowing. He played a long set, the audience was really in the right atmosphere. When he returned to the stage after some applause, I think nobody wanted him to stop singing and playing. At the end of the show I could not say anything - maybe because there was nothing to say. I was just happy and sad at the same time. I just bought a few records from him (Sanjah, Vajra and solo) and went back home walking for about an hour, my head full of thoughts.

Now it just feels so sad to listen to him from my audio speakers. Don't let go any chance to see him perform live. He's as "shamanic" as Haino, but maybe closer to the audience. In every way I believe this concert was the best ever. That gives you an idea.

krakow

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2008, 07:11:15 AM »
Fantastic, I'm really glad to hear he was so great and that you enjoyed it so much. I'm very sorry to be missing him in London again tomorrow night. I'll have to placate my sorrows with Richard Youngs instead.

BzL

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »
The thing is, all the audience attention was particularly drawn by Mikami-san during the whole show. I don't think he expected such a welcome here, though he was invited to play for the third time.

Anyway, I hope he did not take me for a "basic" fan. It's always hard to show your respect to people's work, especially when they are your favourite artists.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 10:28:27 PM by BzL »