Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Best 100 Japanese rock albums  (Read 2161 times)

alancummings

Best 100 Japanese rock albums
« on: November 10, 2007, 12:58:58 AM »
David Marx has very kindly translated the 100 list from this September's edition of Rolling Stone Japan, here:
http://neojaponisme.com/2007/11/09/100-greatest-japanese-rock-albums/

It makes an interesting read, and you'd probably be surprised of how much left-leaning stuff actually gets in there. Could you imagine a Rolling Stone US Top 100 that had Fushitsusha or Merzbow in it, f'rinstance?

By way of comparison, I remember a top ten from a few years ago, drawn up various alternative Japanese journalists and musicians. It went:

1. Boreoms, super ae
2. Ankoku Tairiku Jagatara, Nanban torai
3. Friction, Live 1980
4. Inu, Meshi kuu na
5. SS, Live!
6. Sekiri, Three
7. Aburadako, Aburadako
8. The Stalin, Stop Jap
9. Flipper's Guitar
10. High Rise, II / Hoburakin, Hoburakin

shibuya

• Occasional Poster
Re: Best 100 Japanese rock albums
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 10:05:07 AM »
David Marx has very kindly translated the 100 list from this September's edition of Rolling Stone Japan, here:
http://neojaponisme.com/2007/11/09/100-greatest-japanese-rock-albums/

It makes an interesting read, and you'd probably be surprised of how much left-leaning stuff actually gets in there. Could you imagine a Rolling Stone US Top 100 that had Fushitsusha or Merzbow in it, f'rinstance?

It's hard to imagine. I've looked at other international editions of rolling stone  - the german edition comes to mind - and they often seem to be more open to left leaning music and/or smaller independents than the U.S. version
James

janitorfrommars

• Occasional Poster
Re: Best 100 Japanese rock albums
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 12:53:27 AM »
thanks alan - it's an interesting list, mostly due to omissions (golden cups, mops, yura yura, anything with guitar solos) and particularly the records chosen by bands that are included (merzbow, kenji endo, violent onsen geisha, flipper's guitar, boredoms etc).  it does seem like a weird consensus amongst people that don't actually agree on much, which is to be expected based on the premise.  i wonder if it's really that good of an idea to establish a canon though.

anyway i hit 12 of 100, can't decide if that's good or bad though...