Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Takayanagi Boxset & New "Prepared Guitar" Cd  (Read 4106 times)

aquabahn

• Occasional Poster
New Takayanagi Boxset & New "Prepared Guitar" Cd
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:11:22 AM »
Not sure if this board is active really (a shame if it's not, it's a nice low key well-informed forum, a rarity on the internet). But for Takayanagi aficionados two new stellar looking releases, one just released and another soon to be (hopefully):

1st: Masayuki Takayanagi 'Meta Improvisation' recorded by Otomo Yoshide (!). The details from the improvised music from Japan website: Masayuki "Jojo" Takayanagi: electric guitars, motor, tape recorder, effects, objects

Recorded live by Otomo Yoshihide at This Is, Kushiro, Hokkaido, November 21, 1984 (1, 3); at Van, Kitami, Hokkaido, November 23, 1984 (2); at Obihiro City Library, Obihiro, Hokkaido, November 25, 1984 (4, 7); and at Bup, Hakodate, Hokkaido, November 28, 1984 (5, 6)

First 30 purchased from IMJ come with a bonus disc with an unreleased track.

2nd: Archive II --I can't provide any information as I can't read Japanese. But it's listed on the Jinya Disc website:
http://www.jinyadisc.com/cd-dvd.html

Apparently there's not ETA on this one yet, but if it's anything like 'Archive I' it should be stellar (obviously I'm a Takayanagi partisan). Probably pricey alas tho...

If anyone out there has more information on the 'Archive II' release please fill me in!

-JN

pauladmin

• Administrator
  • Occasional Poster
    • Noise
Re: New Takayanagi Boxset & New "Prepared Guitar" Cd
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 06:34:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up on this! Just ordered a copy of the "Meta Improvisation" disc. Hopefully there will be more details about the "Archive II" set forthcoming soon.

The board is still running, just very, very low-key...

alancummings

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:31:41 AM »
The last I remember hearing (on mixi, probably) about Archive II was that Saito-san has put it on hold until time and money allows...

pauladmin

• Administrator
  • Occasional Poster
    • Noise
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 02:33:29 PM »
I noticed Modern Music have this listed on their website now, and Jinya Disc have it available for sale direct.
I'll be ordering a copy really soon.

dashdash1

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 11:22:57 AM »
Yep, it appears to be just a single disc though, I'm sure it will be excellent either way.

aquabahn

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 08:59:15 AM »
Yep, single disc this time around. That fits right in with my money to spare these days. Improvised Music From Japan is having  sale till the 25th so now is the time to grab it.

aquabahn

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:35:26 AM »
Replying to my own post seems kind of funny, but I thought I would offer a brief review. There are two tracks on the CD. The line-up this time is two guitars (Takayanagi, Akira IIjima (electric guitar), and Hiroshi Yamazaki (drums, percussion). I have to say this probably the "noisiest" work I've heard by Takayanagi. I almost think he might be using a table top guitar set up and as I swear I hear some snippets of recordings of someone talking throughout. The guitars are all snarl,  swells of distortion, and feedback. The whole thing is intense to say the least. If you are fan of Takayangi at his most aggresive and outre, then this is essential and highly recommended.