Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Masayuki Takayanagi Solo Guitar  (Read 1690 times)

aquabahn

• Occasional Poster
New Masayuki Takayanagi Solo Guitar
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:49:58 AM »
Posted this elsewhere but have not seen a response:

Greetings all,

This my first post here. So I have a question about the latest Takayanagi disc on Jinya disc. I bought it soon enough for it to be graced by a bonus disc which is is confusing me slightly. The numerical text on the disc states "12.89" so apparently this disc was recorded in December of 1989. But that's not what confuses me. The first 10 minutes or so is a recording of someone (presumably Takayanagi) speaking. The second track seems to follow from the first but now we have a withering, delay and distortion ridden guitar explosion. Does anyone have more information about this? Is this a teaser for another Jinya disc release? If so, judging by these three minutes Takayanagi is going to blow everyone's minds again. Seriously how far ahead of the game can one man be? Anytime I blink there's another astonishing facet of Takayanagi's personality being revealed.

My review of the solo guitar disc that this bonus disc accompanied is that this is an excellent display of Takayanagi in a more straightforward style--I hesitate to use that when describing Tak because everything he does in whatever style he chooses he makes his own. The slight distortion and the occasionally "out" soloing make this hardly a straightforward solo jazz guitar disc. But if anyone out there knows the back story to this bonus disc please chime in.

Looks like the bonus disc is no longer available from Improvised Music From Japan and e-bay had some but they seem to have disappeared for the time being.

--Joel