Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More Japanese 70s reissues  (Read 3239 times)

alancummings

More Japanese 70s reissues
« on: August 31, 2007, 09:04:56 PM »
Columbia Music Entertainment is reissuing a clutch of 70s albums on September 19, all in mini-lp style sleeves. Some of these have been out of print on CD for a good while. The titles are:

Tetsu Yamauchi / Tetsu
Hiroshi Segawa / Pierrot
Hideki Ishima (the Flower Travellin Band guitarist) / One Day
Yuya Uchida & Flowers / Challenge!
Apryl Fool /  Apryl Fool

And Super Fuji has three early seventies Morio Agata titles lined up for reissue on September 21, again in the mini lp sleeves:

Otomo no roman
Aa mujo / Les Miserables
Boku wa tenshi ja nai yo

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
Re: More Japanese 70s reissues
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 05:42:50 PM »
Somebody should start importing these things at a reasonable price for the market that I'm sure exists in the Western World. A website selling them with English information and descriptions at non-ripoff prices for UK and US folks would be incredible. Even doing it via ebay, say with 'buy it now' prices, so that it basically ran as a straightforward shop, would be a vast improvement on the current state for those, like myself, who have no Japanese language knowledge at all.

I'd consider acting on the idea myself except that I think it would really take somebody who knew Japanese and perhaps had contacts there or even travelled over semi-regularly or lived there to do it properly/best.

I know it may be possible to get them, but it's not in any way easy to do at the moment. CDJapan was mentioned in another thread, but it doesn't seem to be very up to date on this slightly more minority interest stuff.

janitorfrommars

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 02:53:13 AM »
Cool news Alan, thanks.  Krakow, I think Other Music has been doing this off and on - URC reissues and whatnot.  I would drop them a line and see if they can order them.

shibuya

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 07:48:43 AM »
Alan,
can you characterize any of these releases?

Krakow, i agree with you in general. although it does seem like other music has been very good about bringing japanese titles in. Unfortunately, that seems like that's it. Dusty Groove brings in tons of japanese editions but they're generally more in the jazz / funk / soul realm. they must have some lead to this material. someone should ask them who they use since these are major label titles.

james

krakow

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:01:46 PM »
I've had a look at the Other Music website and found it to be quite uninspiring for mailorder. There's not much information at all about the stuff they do have in stock and not huge amounts listed. I guess it might be OK if I had specific requests that I could contact them with, but I'd really love somewhere where I could browse about etc. (online I mean, since I'm in the UK).

shibuya

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »
for online mailorder, i think you are right, krakow. venturing into the store is really the ideal way to go & i take that for granted. nevertheless, they have been known to bring many pieces in direct that the usual distros aren't stocking. I like buying from fusetron (www.fusetronsound.com) as they bring in a lot of unusual discs. it's not easy to navigate but they often have releases long after they are sold out at the source. even though it is time consuming, my biggest preference is buying direct from a label or band site.

james

JR

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 06:10:52 AM »
Somebody should start importing these things at a reasonable price for the market that I'm sure exists in the Western World. A website selling them with English information and descriptions at non-ripoff prices for UK and US folks would be incredible. Even doing it via ebay, say with 'buy it now' prices, so that it basically ran as a straightforward shop, would be a vast improvement on the current state for those, like myself, who have no Japanese language knowledge at all.

I'd consider acting on the idea myself except that I think it would really take somebody who knew Japanese and perhaps had contacts there or even travelled over semi-regularly or lived there to do it properly/best.

I know it may be possible to get them, but it's not in any way easy to do at the moment. CDJapan was mentioned in another thread, but it doesn't seem to be very up to date on this slightly more minority interest stuff.

Not sure if you are in the US krakow - but I have had good luck with a seller on ebay that has an ebay store - this is it:  http://stores.ebay.com/TWOHEADEDDOG-STORE

I have bought many things from there in the past - most recently the Enkidu 2 LP and a Taj Mahal Travellers reissue.  He also has a cool selection of other stuff as well.  The prices I think are fairly good and if you wait until you have 4-5 things you are going to buy then shipping isnt too bad either.

krakow

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 06:51:34 AM »
Cool, thanks very much for the heads up JR. With even just a cursory glance I've already spotted a bunch of stuff I've been wanting for a while and the prices and shipping look excellent. Thank you.

I'm in the UK, but I buy a lot of my stuff online from the US, as even with shipping it often works out cheaper, particularly with the $/£ exchange rate at the moment.