Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Japrocksampler  (Read 2182 times)

mc

• Occasional Poster
Japrocksampler
« on: August 29, 2007, 11:36:05 PM »
Japrocksampler now out - reviews in the Guardian and other press to follow I'm sure.

alancummings

Re: Japrocksampler
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 02:54:51 AM »
I reviewed it in the current issue of The Wire too.
It's an interesting enough book in its own raving way and actually has a lot to recommend it - though I wouldn't entirely rely on it for accuracy. It covers just a very specific period, generally late sixties and early to mid seventies. Some surprises including a pretty solid chapter on the post-war serious avant-garde - Ichiyanagi, Yuasa, Takahashu Yuji, etc. But the fact that Cope's two favourite records from this period (he provides a top 50 at the end of the book) are by Flower Travellin' Band and Speed Glue & Shinki tells you a lot about where he's coming from...

theejock1963

• Occasional Poster
Re: Japrocksampler.com (Internet version)
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 04:49:15 AM »
Hi all.
Just found out about the online data bank www.japrocksampler.com
Don't know in what way this is complementary/overlaps the book or doesn't, but it sure looks like an interesting enough data base full of info on Japanese alternative music.
Easy to see it's far from being complete, but I guess there's a beginning to everything, eh?

Alan, I'm sure the archdruid would appreciate and accept criticism from an "institution" like you, wouldn't he? At least he could update or correct his online entries until the first run of his book is sold out and we'll all benefit from it!
Just an idea.

-jaak-