Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: More Kazuki Tomokawa and Hobo's Concert releases  (Read 5255 times)

mc

• Occasional Poster
More Kazuki Tomokawa and Hobo's Concert releases
« on: August 01, 2007, 07:20:13 AM »
some more early Kazuki Tomokawa released on Showboat, and can anyone tell me about the Hobo's Concert cds on Super Fuji Disks (I think disk 3 has some Mikami Kan and Kazuki Tomokawa live stuff from 1974 according to my Babel translator)

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
Re: More Kazuki Tomokawa and Hobo's Concert releases
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2007, 05:40:05 PM »
Do you have any links for these? Do you just follow the Showboat site, or are there other sources?

I found the Showboat site: http://www.ymns.com/showboat/index.html
but not reading Japanese I can't even tell who the artists are.

It's so frustrating; even with online translation things often come out as largely indecipherable gibberish.

Is there anywhere (maybe online shops) that would provide some English info?

I so wish I knew Japanese.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:42:00 PM by krakow »

mc

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2007, 09:53:21 PM »
The bottom  3 on that link are the Kazuki Tomokawa albums, the first one is Minami Masato I think.

Kazuki Tomokawa's japanese name seems to translate as Friend River on my translator.  You can download many of his albums from the Time Has Told Me and City on Flames blogs.

alancummings

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »
Yeah, on the Showboat site, the top one is Minami Masato's second album, Kaikisen - famous for having Mizutani from Rallizes guesting on one track. This looks to be a deluxe reissue, 24 bit remastering, mini lp sleeve, and four bonus tracks taken from his first two singles. HMV Japan lists it, though not in stock yet: http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2590842

The three Tomokawa albums aren't out until August 30. They're his first three (Yatto ichimaime, Nikusei, Senbazuru o kuchi ni kuwaeta hibi). The last one was arranged by JA Seazer. No extra tracks on any of these, but they are in the same remastered/mini lp sleeve package as the Minami.

Super Fuji's reissues of Tomokawa's Inu and Ore no uchi de nariyamanai mono are out now, as is their reissue of Minami's first album. All mini lp sleeves. HMV links:
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2575616
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2575620
http://www.hmv.co.jp/product/detail/2575619

The Hobo Concerts aren't out until August 24. Volume 3 has three live tracks by Mikami. I'm pretty sure that Tomokawa didn't appear in this series...

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 07:20:28 PM »
Thanks mc and alan.

So these first three albums are the ones that had tracks compiled from them for one of the bonus discs in the Tomokawa box set? Is this the first time they've appeared on CD apart from that compilation?

Also, is the Tomokawa wikipedia page accurate in the chronology etc? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazuki_Tomokawa
So the two Super Fuji reissues are his fourth and fifth albums? Again, is this the first time on CD for them?
It would be good if the discography gave the record label and format of the albums; I'll cross reference with the PSF site to see which ones are theirs.

Are there any more albums  that are currently unavailable and could be reissued at some point?

I wonder if Volcanic Tongue will be getting any of these... I've also heard that PSF (that is, Modern Music) can be quite helpful at sourcing otherwise unavailable Japanese stuff for Western customers when ordering PSF catalogue items, if you ask them. Not tried it as yet myself though.

alancummings

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:25:35 PM »
Yes, the compilation in the box is based around those first three albums. But they have been on CD before - I have early nineties versions of the first and third album on Chop Records, and the second album was released on CD a few years later. All out of print now. And the 4th to 8th albums were all reissued by King in the mid 90s, but again are long out of print. Japan has something of a fetish about mini lp sleeve versions, so there Super Fuji and Show Boat reissues will be the first time that these albums will have appeared in that format.

The Wikipedia page looks pretty accurate on first glance. There's also a Japanese site that shows the individual covers.
http://www.interq.or.jp/www-user/kurenai/cd/cds.html
Note that it includes a compilation between albums 3 & 4. This is the same compilation as appears in the PSF box with a different cover.

As for stuff that is currently unavailable, Sakura no kuni no chiru naka o (from 1980) and Umi shizuka, koe wa yami (1981) are both stone classics and both currently seem to be out of print.
We could also do with a compilation rounding some of Tomokawa's other obscure recordings - there were two singles on Toshiba prior to his first album that contain three tracks not available elsewhere, and there are exclusive tracks on the compilations Haru Ichiban, Musashino Folk Jamboree 84, New Rock no Yoake Columbia-hen.

SILVUM

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 01:03:20 AM »
Any place besides HMV to get these?  I love early Tomokawa.

"We could also do with a compilation rounding some of Tomokawa's other obscure recordings - there were two singles on Toshiba prior to his first album that contain three tracks not available elsewhere"

Aren't those on that disc P-Vine issued awhile ago, it was a bunch of 7"s collected, had a Jacks 7" on it and a bunch of other stuff...

VA - Toshiba Express Singles P-VINE RECORDS CD PCD 1469
A great collection of singles tracks originally issued on Toshida Express in the early 70s. There is no English title or information anywhere on this CD, but the list of artists included is supposed to be: Kenji Endo (3 tracks), Jacks (2 tracks), Kazuki Tomokawa (2 tracks), Kazuki Tomokawa & Down Town Boogie Woogie Band (2 tracks), Anri & Moses Tarzan (2 tracks), Cosmos Factory (2 tracks), Chronicle, East, Mops (2 tracks), Akiyuki Nosaka (2 tracks), RC Succession.

alancummings

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 02:06:23 AM »
Actually, I'd forgotten all about that comp. Yes, those first two singles were on there. I dare say that it is out of print too.

Besides HMV... I think Comfort in Kyoto has vanished, so that leaves Amazon Japan? cdjapan.co.jp may list them at some indeterminate point in the future. And there are a couple of Japanese sellers on Ebay who are usually willing to round up stuff like this. one called neco_kick whom I've used in the past and was reliable.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:13:03 AM by alancummings »

janitorfrommars

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 03:10:08 AM »
oh wow, i have that comp and totally forgot / didn't notice tomokawa was on there.  it is no doubt out of print but FE still have copies.  the haru ichiban tracks were decent but not essential.  alan is right about sakura... and umi shizuka..., i would also add inu to that list - the holy trinity of tomokawa recordings

alancummings

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 03:23:10 AM »
Inu is one of the ones that has just been reissued by Super Fuji label. And PSF tell me they have a new Tomokawa lined up release in November.

mc

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »
You can purchase Tomokawa stuff from CD Japan - really well packed, unlike HMV so essential for mini lp cds.  You can also try Neolith Records, and Modern Music (part of PSF) - they still have the Toshiba Express comp listed.

I use CD Japan regularly, they're excellent and really efficient.  You don't pay Japanese tax and the give you points for every purchase that you can redeem on futher purchases - I also receive 500yen email vouchers every now and then.

alancummings

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 09:09:07 PM »