Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Takayanagi box  (Read 3688 times)

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
Takayanagi box
« on: June 22, 2009, 07:32:36 AM »
This is in the new Volcanic Tongue update (though it fails to be awarded the Tip Of The Tongue accolade) at £69.99 including the DVD. For the sake of posterity (since it will disappear once they sell out), here's their write-up:

Quote from: VT
Masayuki Takayanagi
Archive 1
Jinya Disc NDU-a101
5xCD Box Set + Bonus DVD
£69.99

The late Japanese ‘noise’ guitarist Masayuki Takayanagi’s mass projection concept still stands as one of the most radical formulations of improvisatory aesthetics. His insistence on not listening with your ears, on never consciously responding to a sound and on playing as hard and as loud as possible is still an approach that would offend most ‘liberated’ musical aesthetes. Only in recent years, with the infection of rock by noise has this approach come to be explored outside of one-off think-tanks like The Blue Humans. The music that Takayanagi made with his New Directions Unit in the mid-to-late 70s – especially with the ‘classic’ line-up featuring the incredible Yoshiaki Fuji on saxophones, Hiroshi Yamazaki on percussion and Akira Iijima on second guitar – represents the most radical synthesis of free jazz, electrified rock and ecstatic noise of the 20th century. This amazing limited edition box is the proof. Across five discs drawn from performances through 1977 and 78 the New Direction Unit are on absolutely scalding form. Saxophonist Yoshiaki Fujikawa is a comparatively unsung Japanese musician but this box really puts his tremendous contribution – not to say his staggering lungpower – in the proper context. He plays on all but one side, where his role is eventually taken by the more familiar Kenji Mori, and he is absolutely relentless. His mode of attack is non-stop, an avalanche of molten steel exploding over Takayanagi’s huge, looming feedback clouds before driving the whole group into the kind of holy terror of the late Ayler Orchestra or Coltrane’s Olatunji performance, out-gunning later ensembles like the Rudolph Grey and Arthur Doyle sides in sheer bloody-mindedness alone. This is incredible, transformative music, combining advanced technique with break-on-through ferocity and monolithic punk ugh. You get three unreleased performances from 1977 and two from 1978, all by New Direction, packaged in a slipcase style box with a Japanese-language booklet including snaps and scores and while stocks last VT can also offer a bonus DVD to the first purchasers (this will not be made available with any re-stocks) that presents a film of a solo tabletop guitar performance from Takayanagi, an Action Direct happening from 1990 that has plenty of up-close camera work so you can really get into the mechanics of his approach. I really can’t recommend this set enough. I’d say it contains the best music of Takayanagi’s career. A track like the 27 minute closing “Improvisation 5 – Mass Projection” from the 4/8/77 show at Jean Jean in Shibuya feels like the ultimate manifestation of energy-into-form aesthetics of my lifetime. Just incredible. Highest possible recommendation.

pauladmin

• Administrator
  • Occasional Poster
    • Noise
Re: Takayanagi box
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 04:31:29 PM »
I split this off and moved it from the "For Sale" board as I think this box set deserves a bit of discussion on its own, and the description Krakow posted above from VT makes a good starting point.

I'm still working my way through it - only two discs in one week, as I haven't been in the mood for music this "dry" recently. One thing I was wondering though - does anyone know what the Korean spoken piece used on (at least?) one of the tracks is about, and why that would have been chosen?

aquabahn

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:38:24 AM »
Here's the write up from Johan/ Tiliqua records
TAKAYANAGI MASAYUKI 5 CD BOX SET: “Masayuki Takayanagi Archive1” (Jinya Discs – ndu-a101) (5 CD Set, Box & DVD: SEALED). Limited to 500 copies only. Of those 500, only 300 came with the DVD as a bonus. No surprise that the set is already out of print following only a couple of weeks after its release. Splattered across five discs, you get treated to two years of the life of Takayanagi at the peak of his powers with blood curdling performances dating back to the years 1977 and 78. Here Takayanagi and his New Direction Unit are on a king-hell highlife fuck-around and sounds like the heavy guns coming out of the demon hole form. Takayanagi’s ravaging dust clouds of radioactive feedback is the civilizing force here on display, flanked at all times by still under-documented saxophonist Yoshiaki Fujikawa whose staggering lungpower catapults out boulders and rocks of white-hot volcanic ash to meet Takayanagi’s high tension by answering it appropriately with a high reaction as if engage in trench warfare. Even their tiniest gestures trigger apocalyptic waves of sound. Fujikawa plays on all but one disc, where habitué Kenji Mori replaces him. The groups just never backs down an inch, catapulting out a tornado of dusty violent fits of madness that rip what you knew as free jazz till this day apart like a pile of cheap hay. In short this is music that sounds like your nuts are on fire and silent screams work their way up down your throat, aiming for the brain. The whole affair is packed in a slipcase style box with a Japanese-language booklet (by the hand of Takayanagi’s widow). This set here comes also with a bonus DVD allowing you a peak at a solo tabletop guitar performance from Takayanagi, an Action Direct happening from 1990. Just stunning and highly essential, it will fits in nicely next to the 3 pivotal releases out of his oeuvre being Independence, Action Direct and Cool Jojo. Totally essential and limited!! Price: 85 Euro

I won't try to match the verbal dexterity of the accolades of either of the above. It's all deserved-- a killer set and as both mention above a most revelatory aspect of the whole thing (for me at least) is saxophonist/ flautist Yoshiaki Fujikawa. If on past occasions with Takayangai I had  the tendency to skip ahead to the inevitable full group explosion,  this time around I find myself equally captivated by the duos, trios, etc.

mosa

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
javascript:void(0);

Sorry,a questuion:I'm searcing this album for yaers.Today I arrive here:
http://www.noise.as/forum/index.php?action=activate;u=161;code=81a91b1897
This blog has a link where the album is posted?

mosa

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 09:57:53 PM »

Sorry,a questuion:I'm searcing this album for yaers.Today I arrive here:
http://www.noise.as/forum/index.php?action=activate;u=161;code=81a91b1897
This blog has a link where the album is posted?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry I'm a little bit drunk

http://hiroyasu-tangerine.blogspot.com/2008/07/collection_4165.html

bye

alancummings

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 07:55:29 AM »
I've seen that blog too. The guy is just documenting his collection - visuals only, no downloads.

On a happier Takayanagi note, Jinya has recently released two Takayanagi DVDs, Action Direct1 and Jazz1. The former recorded in August and December 1990, the latter in March 1990 at Jazz Inn Lovely in Nagoya. Still waiting for my copies to arrive, but the latter is apparently jazz and bossa nova pieces, played on a nylon strung acoustic.

http://www.jinyadisc.com/cd-dvd.html

mosa

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 03:24:05 AM »

Thank you man!

I'm waiting your review about dvds.....

Did you ever listening the album with zorn(I met john on july in a jazz festival in lubjana and when I asked about it he said to me that it is nothing of special...but my curiosity is bigger...) ?

bye                                                                                            mosa

alancummings

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:19:58 PM »
I forget to mention that Doubtmusic has recently reissued bassist/cellist Keiki Midorikawa's "Grüne Revolution" album on CD - the first time this one has been reissued. The original LP featured Midorikawa duetting with Takayanagi on one side, and with Masahiko Sato on the other, but for this remastered CD, the label has managed to turn up an additional duo set from the same concert, with the late Masahiko Togashi on drums.

You might also want to note that the same label reissued Itaru Oki's "Genso Note" in July. Long a tough score on vinyl (and I think this is the first CD reissue), this 1975 recording is a bonafide classic of Japanese free jazz - Oki on trumpet, Yoshiaki Fujikawa on sax, Hozumi Tanaka on drums, and Keiki Midorikawa on bass.

http://www.doubtmusic.com/new_e.html

BzL

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 04:36:12 AM »
Thanks for sharing the information Alan! I might give a try to that '75 free jazz album, but there is a Takayanagi box out there I'd like to grab too. Gee, I wish I could afford all my music "needs".

"Experimental Performance" is certainly something fans would like to listen to. Are there any rumors about a CD reissue?

janitorfrommars

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:48:49 AM »
On a happier Takayanagi note, Jinya has recently released two Takayanagi DVDs, Action Direct1 and Jazz1. The former recorded in August and December 1990, the latter in March 1990 at Jazz Inn Lovely in Nagoya. Still waiting for my copies to arrive, but the latter is apparently jazz and bossa nova pieces, played on a nylon strung acoustic.

ah the infamous nylon string acoustic - bane of many a takayanagi completist...

the record with zorn is half duos and half takayanagi solo (two pieces each).  the duos aren't surprising and i vaguely recall the solo side being decent but not great.  maybe i'll relisten and dump anything good onto my blog if i'm ever feeling lazy.

that itaru oki record otoh is fantastic, he's so insanely underrated overseas