Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: PSF Records  (Read 4459 times)

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
PSF Records
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:53:20 PM »
There's often threads made for new PSF titles, so how about a one-stop-shop thread to keep updating...

Motivated to start this by seeing that there's a few new titles on the Japanese PSF site: http://www.psfmm.com/ that I wasn't aware of.

I can identify the Li Jianhong album and a New Miminokoto release as well as the Keiji Haino, Makoto Kawabata & Tatsuya Yoshida DVD on PSF (confusingly given the same title as the Magaibutsu Limited DVD from last year, though posionpie says its different content). Any Japanese readers care to enlighten on these and the other new stuff? It's not made it to the English site or an English mailout yet.

Thanks very much.

alancummings

Re: PSF Records
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 03:42:21 AM »
Yes, sorry, it's my fault. The Haino/Kawabata/Yoshida thing came out a few weeks ago - the title is very similar to the previous one but not exactly the same. The Magaibutsu one was "Ichi to Ichi ga Kasanatte Shimaumade", while this one is "Ichi to Ichi to Ichi ga Kasanatte Shimaumade". It was recorded live.

The New Miminokoto and Li Jianhong are both out, and there is a new Kazuki Tomokawa due on June 10th, his first completely solo one for fifteen years or so. Blurb for the DVD in the For Sale section.

alancummings

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 03:42:38 AM »
Keiji Haino, Makoto Kawabata,
Tatsuya Yoshida

"Ichi to Ichi to Ichi ga Kasanatte Shimaumade"

PSFDV-1003 (DVD)   

Release date: May 15th, 2009 -- OUT NOW!

Vocals, Guitar        Keiji Haino
Guitar            Makoto Kawabata
Drums            Tatsuya Yoshida

Second release by a new super-group featuring Keiji Haino, Makoto Kawabata (Acid Mothers Temple), and Tatsuya Yoshida (Ruins). Recorded live in Tokyo in December 2008.

An hour’s worth of sharply photographed alternately dense, brutal, coruscating and beautiful interplay from three of the hardest hitters in the Japanese underground, with the interplay between Haino’s scalding, molten darkness and Kawabata’s crunch and ripple particularly invigorating.

NB For those confused by the title, the trio’s previous release on Magaibutsu was entitled Ichi to ichi ga kasanatte shimaumade (Until one and one come to overlap). This one is Ichi to ichi to ichi ga kasanatte shimaumade (Until one and one and one come to overlap). Just so you know…

Fifty-nine minutes. Region-free NTSC DVD.

Forthcoming releases:
May 25, 2009        Li Jianhong / Shan Hai Jing (PSFD-187)
                              New Miminokoto / All About Mimi (PSFD-188)
June 10, 2009       Kazuki Tomokawa / Inakamono no kara genki (PSFD-8031)

krakow

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 05:55:01 AM »
Thanks very much Alan. Your help is always greatly appreciated.

This one: http://www.psfmm.com/product/11353 is a new Kan Mikami album, right? It hasn't made it to the English site yet and I don't think it has been mentioned here yet either.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 05:58:30 AM by krakow »

phos

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 06:11:49 AM »
This one is the new ( released in april ) Mikami Kan  album titled "(Minus 1)"

alancummings

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:29:29 AM »
I've also been posting these on Discogs as and when they are released:
http://www.discogs.com

krakow

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 06:32:46 AM »
Aha, excellent. I'll take a look at the info on there as well.

krakow

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »
Reviews of these in the new Volcanic Tongue update. I know they're obviously going to big them up, so a pinch of salt is advisable, but they do all sound very appealing; it's really got me quite excited about the New Miminokoto, and turned me on for the Li Jianhong, as it's described as a "wailing" guitar work out rather than pure noise.

Going to pick them up from PSF themselves mind, as it's a lot cheaper and getting packages from Japan is one of lifes highlights.

What are anyone's thoughts on any recent titles (not necessarily just the most brand new batch)?

phos

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:09:46 AM »
Miminokoto minus Masami Kawaguchi is something else....

I've recently really enjoyed PSFD-182 Toukasei-Bunshi / Meta-Inorganicmatter Meta-Newlon CD, a bit surprised by the type of music considered it has been released by PSF.
Gritty drone music....

krakow

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
As mentioned elsewhere, there's a new Tokyo Flashback Volume 7 compilation out now, here's the low down...

"An essential document of the psychedelic improvisation scene that exists in the deepest catacombs of the Tokyo underground! Includes unparalleled live performances by six of the scenes freshest groups. Recorded live at the legendary Koenji Show Boat venue in Tokyo on May 31, 2009! 1. Le Son De Los - Still Water : An improvising unit formed by Yuko Hasegawa from Onna-Kodomo, Masahiro Deguchi from Gendai Sokkyo, and Shizuo Uchida from Hasegawa-Shizuo. The group began playing together several years ago, concentrating on outdoor performances. Deguchis flute and guitar swim freely creating circles of ma, while Uchidas bass and subtly profound voice and acoustic guitar knit together sounds that exist solely at their instant of creation. 2. Bon no Kubo - Untitled : Formed in 2007. An improvising trio consisting of guitar, contrabass and percussion. The group aims at the sublime, whispered in a uniquely Japanese sensibility. Drums, Percussion: Naoto Yamagishi; Contrabass: Shintarou Takasugi; Guitar: Masahiko Ota 3. Derakushi - Red Shoes 303 : Formed in 2008 at Suzukis instigation. The project aims to express everything that bubbles up during performance or is generated as its by-product, without hesitation or exception. The group had one track on Real Japanese Underground 2008 compilation on the Lost Rivers Project label. 4. Sabu Orimo Unit - Inochi : Natural-Bore Shakuhachi: Sabu Orimo; Harmonica, Drums: Tomohiko Namiki 5. Touyounomajyo - White Light Spear : Formed in January 2008 and active in live houses around Koenji. They have released several live recordings.Guitar, Vocals: Keisuke Kajiwara; Bass: Mitsu; Drums: A. 6. Hasegawa-Shizuo - Gray Ray : Improvising duo of Hirotomo Hasegawa and Shizuo Uchida. Their genre-less music blends ma (space) and drone, while internalizing noise, ethnic music and contemporary composition. Their performances are made up entirely of sounds produced in the live moment and space. To date they have released three albums, on PSF, Tiliqua Records and haang niap Records. Hichiriki, Voice, etc.; Hirotomo Hasegawa Bass, Voice, etc.; Shizuo Uchida." -PSF

krakow

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 08:35:11 PM »
Others of note in my world that are now out and on the English version of the site, but that I have yet to buy and hear are:

Tori Kudo / piano solo PSFD-191

PSFD-8031 Kazuki Tomokawa / A Bumpkin's Empty Bravado
Vocals, Guitar: Kazuki Tomokawa
Celebrating 35 years of vagabond soul by one of Japan's most distinctive and original folk voices. A Bumpkin's Empty Bravado is Tomokawa's first completely solo album in fifteen years and a full-voiced return to form after his recent illness.

Anyone heard these yet?

Coquille

PSF Records 25th Anniversary Sale (2 weeks only)
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 02:08:52 AM »
2nd August - 15th August, 2010

BUY 3 PSF CDs (or DVDs) and GET 1 CD (or DVD) of your choice FREE!

BUY 6 PSF CDs (or DVDs) and GET 2 CDs (or DVDs) of your choice FREE!

BUY 10 PSF CDs (or DVDs) and GET 4 CDs (or DVDs) of your choice FREE!

(Note: Double CD is considered as 2 CDs)

http://www.psfrecords.com/

(http://www.psfmm.com/)