Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: new Suishou no Fune CD on Blossoming Noise  (Read 4486 times)

wiredtrap

• Occasional Poster
new Suishou no Fune CD on Blossoming Noise
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:08:31 AM »
Suishou no Fune - The Gold Labyrinth CD out now

order it here: http://www.blossomingnoise.com/?q=node/465

Limited edition of 300 copies for some reason (why not 1000 at least for a group of this magnitude?)

also of note on this label is a new CD of Marcia Bassett & Carlos Giffoni, and a TEN CD set of Francisco Lopez (beware, the only difference between regular and special edition seems to be one 5" record, for $35 more!)

but regardless, Blossoming Noise is an excellent label and deserves full support

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
Re: new Suishou no Fune CD on Blossoming Noise
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:51:13 AM »
300 copies does seem an oddly low number.

Thanks for the heads up.

phos

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 02:02:09 AM »
I'm not sure they could sell 1000 or even 500 copies. The market is small and it seems these days many labels have some difficulties with their sales.
Their precedent CDR, ltd to 200 copies is still not difficult to find...

I'm not sure, but  in my opinion, 500 copies would "saturate" the market, the band has already released a few albums within a year. Maybe there's an over production in the musical "underground " scene, as a customer that became very hard to follow a multitude of bands...

But maybe I'm wrong...I hope so...I'd be glad If they could sell 300 copies even if I didn't like half of their releases.

krakow

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 04:38:27 AM »
I ordered it, so that's 1 down. Only 299 left to shift.

wiredtrap

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 12:14:49 AM »
I'm not sure they could sell 1000 or even 500 copies. The market is small and it seems these days many labels have some difficulties with their sales.
Their precedent CDR, ltd to 200 copies is still not difficult to find...

I'm not sure, but  in my opinion, 500 copies would "saturate" the market, the band has already released a few albums within a year. Maybe there's an over production in the musical "underground " scene, as a customer that became very hard to follow a multitude of bands...

But maybe I'm wrong...I hope so...I'd be glad If they could sell 300 copies even if I didn't like half of their releases.

I see your point, and I agree somewhat, it is far too saturated.

But I had thought the minimum pressing of a real CD is 500 copies, I mean that is the minimum a pressing plant will produce, normally.  I have only seen very few CD releases in editions less than 500 before, so it feels somewhat like they're trying to manufacture a "rare" album from the start.   Then again this is probably the natural cynicism of the underground and every label/band has produced some gimmicks (in appearance/packaging if not necessarily musical content) along the way, or they won't stand out so easily.

Certainly the Suishou no Fune has a decent following, but this will sell much faster than a CD-R, because real CD labels get more distribution and publicity, and secondly a lot of people won't spend money on CD-Rs anymore (myself included).

krakow

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 04:28:36 AM »
But I had thought the minimum pressing of a real CD is 500 copies, I mean that is the minimum a pressing plant will produce, normally.

This is my impression too. I've heard that even when runs of less than 500 copies are available, the duplication company will actually be pressing 500 or more and then just chucking the rest.
Either way, it's decidedly more cost effective to do runs of 1000, or even 500, than a micro-pressing.

...a lot of people won't spend money on CD-Rs anymore (myself included).

I'm in this camp too. I will very very occasionally buy CD-Rs but only very rarely and am only really happy to buy 'proper' CDs.

krakow

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 05:18:22 PM »
I ordered this at the time, nearly a month ago now, but nothing in the post so far... More infuriating is the lack of response to my emails to Blossoming Noise. Fingers crossed still though.

krakow

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »
It turned up on Tuesday thankfully. Not the fastest or most communicative service from Blossoming Noise, but there you go.

The album in question is excellent. Well worth the wait. It starts off on a massive noisy crescendo of an introduction before heading into their totally sad and mournful epic dark psych territory, finally stumbling to a close nearly 70 minutes later on another fuzzed out beast of a track.

Great quality recording with a lovely blistering raw live sound, recorded at Studio Uen in May 2007 according to the notes.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 07:34:20 AM by krakow »

wiredtrap

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 02:33:33 AM »
Mine took about a month to arrive too (got here a couple of days ago), and no answer to my emails either.  I think I preferred the original BN site.    Presumably they took a break for holidays and forgot to tell anyone, or were busy shifting the Lopez boxes ?