Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are High Rise Back In Action?  (Read 2539 times)

Gilberto

• Occasional Poster
Are High Rise Back In Action?
« on: May 16, 2008, 11:04:20 PM »
I just came across this website
http://homepage2.nifty.com/highrise/index.htm

seems like High Rise might be back, does anyone know if this is really going to happen?

alancummings

Re: Are High Rise Back In Action?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »
That site has been there a few years now, but mostly as a resource for Narita.
As far as I know High Rise never really split up. The issue they have always had is finding a drummer powerful enough, rock enough, and fast enough. Ujiie was best they ever had - Hano had the power and stamina but was just too jazz for them, Pill didn't have the acceleration, Shimura was a bit leaden. I believe they've tried out with a few people in recent years, but never found anyone they thought was truly up to the job. But even some archival stuff would be nice to hear.

Gilberto

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 06:13:30 PM »
Thanks, i just assumed they'd split because Nanjo seemed to have gone off the radar in recent years, as far as I had been able to tell.

alancummings

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »
Nanjo has been very quiet - suspiciously quiet, I'd say. There have been a few things that have appeared over the last five years ago, on European labels like Fractal and Vivo. But none of these have been new recordings. At my estimation, the last recording by him that could actually be described as new was Mainliner's Imaginative Plain, recorded in December 2000.
Maybe we're about to get swallowed up in another tsunami of releases...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 06:31:03 PM by alancummings »