Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Alchemy Records  (Read 5156 times)

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
Alchemy Records
« on: November 11, 2007, 09:02:17 AM »
Following on from finding out that Jojo sells lots of Alchemy Records releases via ebay, I wanted to start a thread to try and gather some discussion of Alchemy Records and recommendations from its catalogue.

Any suggestions for personal favourites, must haves, duds, clunkers; or simply musings or ramblings related to the label are more than welcome.

Discogs has a pretty hefty listing for the label at http://www.discogs.com/label/Alchemy+Records+(2)
while the Japanese website is at http://www.kt.rim.or.jp/~jojo_h/ar/p_top/index.html

Personally I've seen Hijokaidan live once at Instal a few years ago and have seen Jojo Hiroshige and Junko solo and in a few different groupings at a couple of festivals and have really enjoyed them everytime. In particular I liked Jojo and his solo guitar and vocals set also at the same Instal festival and his guitar playing in various guises, so something along those lines would be good.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 07:44:30 AM by krakow »

JR

• Occasional Poster
Re: Alchemy Records
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 02:53:50 AM »
I generally like this label...

As you mentioned, JOJO's solo stuff is fairly good.  They have reissued a good deal of the Hijokaidan stuff as well - which is very good of course.

I like their Night Gallery compilations (through Vol. 3 right now).  Vol. 1 is fairly well known acts (LSD-March, Up-Tight, Miminikoto, Doodles) and Vol. 2 & 3 have a lot of bands I have never heard of before.  It gives me a nice database of bands to search for.

janitorfrommars

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 03:44:43 AM »
Here's a list of some of my favorite bits of their catalog, I've obviously not heard everything and left out reissues.  Note that I'm not in the "everything ever released by Hijokaiden / Merzbow is essential camp" so I basically cherry picked on those.  Interested to hear others' thoughts.

LP:
Original Ultra Bide, Hijokaiden Tapes (cheating, sort of), Hanatarash 2

CD :
Marble Sheep..., Merzbow - Rainbow Electronics, Masonna - Mademoiselle..., Slapp Happy Humphrey, Tangerine Dream Syndicate, Kitajima Tatsuya & Shishow Band, Doodles, Miminokoto - Green Mansions

wiredtrap

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 02:26:05 AM »
i highly recommend  Up-Tight "Lucrezia"
and might want to pick Christine 23 Onna "Shiny Crystal Planet" apparently jojo is down to final copies of this

I like their Night Gallery compilations (through Vol. 3 right now).  Vol. 1 is fairly well known acts (LSD-March, Up-Tight, Miminikoto, Doodles) and Vol. 2 & 3 have a lot of bands I have never heard of before.  It gives me a nice database of bands to search for.

I was thinking of picking those up too..but was not sure if the material is exclusive or just compiled of stuff already out there?

JR

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 06:34:05 AM »
Sorry for not replying...I just saw this...a month later.

I will have to find the boxes / obis / disks for those and take a look.  Off the top of my head - the Up-Tight track is an edit of sorts of Sweet Sister which occurs in various incarnations on a few of their releases.

This performance itself seems similar to one that is on the Sweet Sister Session CD-r but really, I will need to look closer to give a definitive answer.  I can't particularly recall what LSD-March performs on there, but I will let you know...

SILVUM

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 04:31:55 AM »
http://elegancefilter.blogspot.com/2008/01/alchemy-records.html

Post about Alchemy I did on my blog.

Enjoy.

alancummings

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 06:33:27 AM »
Nice post. Chouzu did in fact release a full album a few years ago, on a label called Rev-Node. The label's site is here, but is mostly in Japanese:
http://rev-node.hp.infoseek.co.jp/

The Chouzu album is RNCD-008, and they also seem to have a track on the Sidelights comp that I have yet to hear. And a sold-out CDr...

SILVUM

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »
Woah, awesome!  Thanks Alan!  I will definitely be looking for that album, I love the tracks on the Night Gallery comp.

Glad you liked the post!

Ehtylboj

• Occasional Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2008, 04:48:01 AM »
I was thinking of picking those up too..but was not sure if the material is exclusive or just compiled of stuff already out there?

From what I remember reading, all the material on the Night Gallery discs is exclusive. 

I highly recommend the first volume- a GREAT compilation. The Chouzu songs are probably my favourites on there- such a lonesome, melancholy vibe they create. Highly beautiful. The Miminokoto contributions are also really good, though one of the songs crops up in a superior (IMO) version on the first Invisible Pyramid comp on Last Visible Dog- it features some awesomely ragged guitar playing.

It was this song that got me interested in them!!

krakow

• Rock on rebel warriors!
    • Crimson Glow Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 07:50:30 PM »
Not wanting to taunt you Silvum and Ehtylboj, but I got a copy of the Chouzu album (self-titled, RNCD-008) from Volcanic Tongue this week and have been listening to it most nights - it's very nice indeed.

I did ask VT if they had any further copies, but unfortunately they said not. I paid £15, but think it is worth trying to track down if you like their melancholy vibe. I guess I was just lucky to spot it on the VT website and get an email off before it disappeared. Sorry not to bear better news though.